Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Pina Colado Trifle - 5 Stars

Recipe and picture from Recipe.com


Beautiful day today here in Wyoming and I am very grateful that my daughter and her husband and kids are here to visit us for the weekend. So excited to see the little ones. They actually requested that I make the Steak and Mushroom Melt tonight that they saw on the blog and I happily did. Tomorrows meal is the Oriental Chicken Salad.  See why good pictures are so important?! They saw it and now they want to eat it. I love taking pictures so that makes me very happy that they like what they see. Very gratifying. 

I saw this beautiful trifle on recipe.com and was hooked immediately when I saw the picture. I scrolled down and saw the ingredients and it sounds really good. I am going to make this for our Sunday Dinner. My daughter brought me a Pineapple so I am going to cut it into little triangle and line the top outer layer with the point sticking down into the cream. The colors are beautiful and I LOVE Pina Colada. I think I will add some sliced bananas in there somewhere as well. I have seen lots of Trifle recipes but this one was a little different so I wanted to share it with you. It got 5 stars!

Pina Colado Trifle - 5 Stars!

Ingredients

1 box (18.25 ounces) pineapple or banana cake mix
1/2  cup vegetable oil
1  cup lemon yogurt (from two 6-ounce containers)
3 eggs
1-1/2  cups heavy cream
2  teaspoons rum extract
1-1/2  cups marshmallow cream
2  cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1  cup shredded coconut
2/3  cup maraschino cherries
1/4  cup toasted coconut for garnish, if desired
add ingredients to list

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350 F. Coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2.In a large bowl, beat cake mix, oil, yogurt and eggs on low for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-  high and beat for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl after 1 minute.

3.Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 F for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool on rack completely. Trim off about 1 inch from edges and reserve for snacking. Cut cake into 1-inch cubes.

4.In a large bowl, beat heavy cream and rum extract until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the marshmallow cream; fold in crushed pineapple with its juice.

5.Place half of the cake cubes in a 14- to 16-cup trifle dish; gently press to compact. Sprinkle half of the coconut and scatter half of the cherries over cubes. Spoon half of the whipped cream mixture evenly over cubes. Repeat layering. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish with toasted coconut, if desired, before serving.

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. I would love to hear if you make this and what your thoughts are on it. I love to hear your comments. 

Thanks for stopping by!
Dori

1 comment :

  1. OOOHHH Just when I decided I need to shed a few pounds..I find this.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!